Orthopedics is the medical specialty that focuses on injuries and diseases of your body's musculoskeletal system. This complex system includes your bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves and allows you to move, work, and be active.
Orthopedic surgeons manage special problems of the musculoskeletal system. This involves:
- Diagnosis of your injury or disorder
- Treatment with medication, exercise, surgery or other treatment plans
- Rehabilitation by recommending exercises or physical therapy to restore movement, strength and function
- Prevention with information and treatment plans to prevent injury or slow the progression of diseases
Orthopedic surgeons perform numerous types of surgeries. Common procedures include:
Source: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy - a procedure using special cameras and equipment to visualize, diagnose and treat problems inside a joint.
- Fusion - a "welding" process by which bones are fused together with bone grafts and internal devices (such as metal rods) to heal into a single solid bone.
- Internal Fixation - a method to hold the broken pieces of bone in proper position with metal plates, pins or screws while the bone is healing.
- Joint Replacement (partial, total and revision) - when an arthritic or damaged joint is removed and replaced with an artificial joint called a prosthesis.
- Osteotomy - the correction of bone deformity by cutting and repositioning the bone.
- Soft tissue repair - the mending of soft tissue, such as torn tendons or ligaments.
to search for an ARH Orthopedic Surgeon near you.
Additional Sources of Information
Hospitals in Beckley, Tug Valley, Harlan, Middlesboro
, Hazard and Highlands offer orthopedic surgery.